Passport valid for at least six months by all nationals. Visa can obtained from Lao Embassies and Consulates abroad. In addition, visa can also be obtained on arrival at the international Checkpoint. The entry visas are obtainable from the nearest Laos Embassy, a travel agent or upon arrival. The validity of tourist visas is about one month and could be extended.
Visa on arrival into Laos:
– Stamped at international airport: Vientaine, Luang Prabang, Paske
– Procedures: No need to have visa approval letter in advance (as in Vietnam). Upon arrival at the airport, clients will fill in the Immigration Form (given by the Immigration Officer) at the airport, paste their passport size photos and pay US$ 30 to US$ 42 (depending on nationalities) as stamping fee directly to the immigration officer there
Note: The price is subject to change and varies between nationals
Nationalities that are not required to have visa to Laos:
– Nationals of Japan, South Korea, Russia, and Switzerland for stays of up to 15 days;
– Nationals of Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippine, Thailand, Cambodia and Singapore for stays of up to 30 days
The following Passport Holders of Nationality listed are required to obtain the Pre-arranged VISA to Laos
|1. Afghanistan||2. Algeria||3. Bangladesh|
|4. Burundi||5. Cameroon||6. Congo|
|7. Cote d’ Ivoire||8. Ghana||9. Guinea|
|10.Guinea Bissau||11. Jordan||12. Lesotho|
|13. Liberia||14. Libyan Arab Jahahiriya||15. Mozambique|
|16. Nauru||17. Niger||18. Nigeria|
|19. Pakistan||20.Senegal||21. Sierra Leone|
|22. Sri Lanka||23. Suriname||25. Swaziland|
|26. Tonga||27. Turkey||28. Zimbabwe|
Laos Visa Extension
If you want to stay longer in Laos but your visa is about to expire, it is possible to extend your visa at the immigration office in Vientiane. The extension fee is around US$2 per day if you apply before the expiry date and US$10 per day for the days you over stayed if you applied after the expiry date.
Below is the contact address of Vientiane Immigration Office:
Add: Lane Xang Avenue, Vientiane (behind the Joint Development Bank (JDB) on Lane Xang Avenue, opposite the Morning Market)
Opening time: Monday-Friday, from 8:00-16:00 (closed 12:00 to 13:00 & on Friday Afternoon).
• One passport type photo
• Service fee of US$3
• Application fee of 3,000 kip per person
• Visa extension fee : $2 per day if you have valid visa, $10 per day if your visa is already expired (overstayed days)
*All fees are recent cost and subject to change
Procedure: fill out the application form then submit together with your passport and pay fees.
If you are in Vientiane, you can take a public bus to the Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge. Then you complete the immigration procedures on the Lao side; the take the shuttle bus to the Thai immigration point and enter Thailand. Once again, get the shuttle bus and then arrive at the Lao side, where you can apply for a Laos Visa on Arrival.
Your passport must have at least 6 months of remaining validity and a blank page for a visa stamp and don’t forget to take enough cash (US dollars) for the visa fee and two passport sized photos.